History of Marple Golf Club
In August 1892, a group of men met at Hawk Green in Marple, and resolved “that a golf club for Marple be founded” and “that the entrance fee be one guinea and the subscription to be fixed at one guinea per annum”. Also “that the colours of Marple Golf Club be red and green”. A month later the first committee met and agreed “that lady members be admitted to the Club at an annual subscription of 5 shillings each and no entrance fee”.
For the next 93 years, Marple had a 9 hole golf course. in 1976 a project started to extend the course, and this resulted in the opening in 1985 of the 18 hole course. In 1992 we celebrated our centenary. A commemorative booklet was produced. You can access it here.
Many changes in course layout have been made – too many to detail here. In 2004 the course layout as we have today was finalised.
In 2017 we celebrate 125 years of golf at Marple Golf Club.